Sunday, July 18, 2010

My new quote in life…mommyinLDN

Bridgette Shima (aka mommyinLDN) is a first time mom who lives in Southwest London with her one year old son and husband.  She writes about London with kids and shares just how easy it is to get around in the big city.  As an American expat, originally from New York, she shares her experiences regarding living abroad and its challenges and is also very passionate about sports.  You can visit her at http://eatdrinkpottyplay.wordpress.com/

"Let us be grateful to people who makes us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." ~ Marcel Proust

I love this. It brings a smile to my face every time I read it. It shines a light through the darkest of moments when things may seem overwhelming or when a day seems too long to handle. We’ve been told time and time again that “life is short so live as if it’s your last day”. But how many of us really take the time to reflect on this? How consumed are we by our daily routines? I remember those days when I worked long hours and dealt with a very hectic schedule, my mind was always on the “go”. Work was stressful and the pressure was constantly on, however, back then I was young and free so the responsibilities I have now weren’t there. I’d get off work and think about who I’d I meet for a drink or race to get a mani/pedi before the nail salon closed. I shopped til I dropped and took full advantage of New York City’s happening life. Spending money made me happy, very happy indeed. I’d spend it like it was going out of style, living the single, crazy life. Happiness was all on the surface. It wasn’t until I met my husband and became a Mom that I learned one of the biggest lessons in life: it is no longer about the want but the need and it was then that I realized motherhood changed me forever. My husband taught me this, taught me the real value of money. I’m a SAHM so my husband’s money is my money. I really can’t spend it like I used to spend mine as it can only stretch so far when feeding a family of three. So those days of going out to the ritzy, chic bars aren’t in sight. I’d much rather cook a meal and spend the day in the park watching our lil guy have the time of his life. This is what I live for now. I can count on both hands those people that make me happy; and I can tell you that my list has definitely shortened in the last two years. Without them I wouldn’t have my sanity nor would I have anyone to set me straight! We can joke around or talk about the serious things in life, its hardships and challenges. We tell stories and our relationships grow fonder. They’re all gardeners, planting their own seeds in my memory bank. When I feel like I need a quick pick-me-up, I think of a funny email between my brother and I or a time when our lil guy has a giggle attack (there have been loads lately!). Other times I think about the future such as our upcoming wedding anniversary next month and spending Christmas with my mother and sister here in London. All these things make me happy and are wonderful to look forward to. So, who are those that make you happy? I challenge you to take five minutes every day and think about a happy moment in your life. When you feel as if your day has gotten the best of you, think of a special someone. I guarantee it’ll put a smile on your face too!

No comments:

Post a Comment