Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday Madness - Gold bullion stolen from Florida treasure museum

Hello! I am trying a new schedule & content due to the resumption of university classes today.  I will try to continue to post Monday through Friday, but will definitely post twice a week (probably Monday & Thursday).  Please be patient as I figure out what I can successfully pull off. Regarding the new content, I've noticed other blogs have "themes" for particular days.  As I've never been a nonconformist, I am following suit.  Hence, "Monday Madness" will be excerpts of an article that I find entertaining, odd, irritating, or otherwise worth discussion; I will add my two cents witty commentary (in pink).  I hope you find this addition interesting. If you find it loathsome, please send me an e-mail.  Without further ado ... today's Monday Madness.


Gold bullion stolen from Florida treasure museum (courtesy of Reuters @ www.reuters.com; full article @ http://tinyurl.com/2bdv5tb)

The 74.85-ounce gold bar was stolen on Wednesday from the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum in Key West, Florida, in what executive director Melissa Kendrick called "a very quiet smash and grab." (not exactly pocket-sized @ 4.68 lbs)
The 11-inch (28-centimeter) gold bar was inside a glass case with a small opening where visitors could stick a hand inside and lift the bar to examine it. (again, not pocket-sized. Seriously though, "an opening where visitors could stick a hand inside!?!? Whose bright idea was that? Perhaps someone who is now unemployed?)
Gold has hovered near historic highs after hitting a record $1,266.50 an ounce in June, but the stolen bar's $550,000 valuation reflects historic value far beyond its melt-down worth.
Kendall said the bar had several distinctive markings, including Roman numerals signifying it was 16-karat gold, a symbol identifying its owner, and a series of dots indicating what taxes the owner had paid to the Spanish crown.
"It's a one-of-a-kind piece," Kendall said. (so unique, we wanted to make sure just anyone could touch it ...Doh!!)
Again, let me know your thoughts on the new format, please.  
Regarding the article, as I ask my kids "what would you have done differently?" 
Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment