Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuesday thought(s)

DH & I were having a discussion last night about different styles of worship.  He is very reserved & feels it is irreverent to get "too emotional" during church.  He finds dancing, yelling out, raising hands, etc to be distasteful.  So I said all of those demonstrations were scriptural & joked that at least nobody in church danced naked before the Lord like King David did.  Can I get an amen on that?? **shivers**

Anyway, all that to say this: what are your thoughts?  Do you perceive God as "Father" or "Daddy" (Abba, in the Hebrew)?  I think people's perceptions of God are largely colored by the relationship with their earthly father. 

For instance, if your dad was reserved & kept you at "arm's reach", you will likely think that is God's wish as well.  If your dad was physically & emotionally demonstrative, then that will also flavor your relationship with God. 

While I believe God is due all honor & respect, I kinda like the image of being able to crawl up on His lap & cry, laugh, or just talk to Him; I think He does too.   What are your thoughts?? Please share ...

6 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention that we relate our relationship with God with our earthly father. I had to consciously NOT do that. My dad's not a bad guy, but certainly not the way I view God. As far as worship styles go, my husband was raised Church of Christ, non-instrumental. And while he doesn't really have a problem with others clapping, etc. his worship "style" is much more conservative. I think that as long as you're not interferring with someone else's worship experience, that's okay. But lots of folks get really wrapped up in the dos and don'ts of how to worship. Me? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always be conservative in church. Outside of church, my praise will sometimes conjure up some impressive break dancing...

    Sometimes, I just have to drive into the country to get away from all the staring white people.

    I think you are right about the God and earthly father thing. But I see very little difference in the way I treat my real dad and I treat God. But I still thinks it's a valid point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! What a perfect picture of how important it is for earthly fathers to show love and affection. I just asked my DH to answer this question and he said "Father." But his dad was not emotional at all with him until just a few years ago. Awesome post my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for your comments. I was glad to get some feedback!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not one who perceives God the way I perceived my father. My dad is a recovered alcoholic who had some other major issues as I was growing up & my memories of living in a house with him are not fond memories. I didn't have a hard time feeling close to God or turning to God, but maybe that's just how the relationship with my dad affected it. I instead turned to God as my dad. There was a verse in a song I heard one time that say something about being held in God's hands & crying for a while because only He would understand. That's what it was like for me. God was my refuge. He was where I went when the world fell apart around me.

    As a result, I worship best when I am able to approach God with sincerity - the way I would in real life. I'm not a big clapper, hand-raiser in church, but I do tend to really enjoy the worship music that is more lively & upbeat & modern. It is more like what I listen to in real life & therefore I feel like I'm hanging out with a dear friend rather than approaching a distant & unapproachable authority. I do believe God is my authority, but like what a father should be, He is also the place I go to be myself. When I pray I tend to use really familiar conversation terms - just talk to Him about my day, what I'm afraid of, what I'm struggling with. He already knows it anyway.

    Wow that was a long response, but I love this post. Really made me think!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cameron,

    Wow! Well said. My dad was physically present but not emotionally connected (cannot ever remember him saying he loved me). So I relish the thought that God is intimately interested in the smallest aspect of my life. I am fairly conservative in church, but tend to "let my hair down" when in private. I love all worship music from classic hymns to modern praise & worship.

    Glad I made you think & appreciate your honest comments!! Blessings ~ TP

    ReplyDelete